Sunday, January 22, 2017

Week Two at the BYU

Kia Ora!

It's been another week!  What a difference a week can make.  Like I'm still a bit overwhelmed with everything, but at the same time, I'm slowly getting used to things and getting things figured out.  The older I get, the more I realize I'm so much like the matriarchs before me.  I find joy from getting things done.  I also really, really find joy from people.  Although I miss a lot of people, I have a lot of wonderful people in my life as well right now!  Last Sunday, church was good.  I spoke about the joy of sharing the plan of salvation, which was pretty much the best topic ever for me!  Our ward is good.  I really like our bishopric.  That night we went to Thelma's and I just loved being there.  I really, really, really love that family.  I think that I remember back to the beginning of Freshman year and I was so homesick and going to the Davis's was my favorite thing.  I still just feel like I'm home there.  Hannah came with us and it was just so fun.  Having relatives around is a good deal for me!

Monday was the blessed Martin Luther King Day and I got so much done!  I had a lot to do and I did it.  Hannah and I also went to Waffle Love with Desi and to get her new phone.  My rating for Waffle Love: five stars, five thumbs up!  That night, Hannah and I went to the BEST movie.  It's called "The Queen of Katwe" and it just made me cry!  It's based on a true story about this girl from the slums of Uganda who becomes a chess champion.  It reminded me of some of my companions and other missionaries from my mission and I just really loved it.

Tuesday it was back to work.  I had piano (which I really enjoy because it's really easy), family history with Desi, devotional with Desi (which is ALWAYS the best), Literature (which I also really enjoy because it's this small class and you get to know everyone and get to talk about good books that we have to read . . . there is a LOT of reading though), and choir (which is my favorite hour of every day).  So Tuesdays are the best days!  That night I sang (did I already mention I have to practice for my voice lesson nine hours a week!!!)  I know, it's crazy.  But I also exercised a few times this week.  I ran up and down the four flights of stairs in our building and almost killed myself both times.  I'm determined to get fit.  BYU really has a disproportional amount of super beautiful, thin people.  I don't know about that!  Also Tuesday and Thursday I had to go to this Vocal Competition for Vocal Performance Majors (also for my voice lessons).  It was really good but REALLY long.  On Thursday I worked on memorizing the family proclamation during it (for Family Processes).

Wednesday I had Music 202 where I sit by my New Zealand friend, Intro to Family Processes with Des (which is super interesting but I think it's going to be harder than I thought), and choir.  So every day my classes are super spread out.  They are like every other hour all day, which is annoying, but I guess it forces me to stay on campus and study.

Thursday I went to that voice competition again and got my new temple recommend (hooray!) and Friday was the best day of all the days.  Right after my classes, Matt Virgin met me in the lobby, we went and picked up Emily and Makenzie, and drove to Salt Lake to see Star.  He's off to Australia (which I'm so, so, so jealous of) and then getting married in July.  So we all went to eat and hang out with him at City Creek Mall and Temple Square.  I just love that group.  My Spring Creek friends are the best!  I just felt so comfortable and not stressed (after being constantly rushing to get things done all week).  We took heaps of pictures and wandered around and just had fun.  Also Star knows a ridiculous amount of the same people that I do from New Zealand/Fiji/Auzzie!  My favorite thing is talking about New Zealand of course so that was quite exciting for me.

Then yesterday we went (with Hannah, Emily, Emily's roommate, and Hailey Bunker (Makenzie's cousin from my freshman year) to the temple.  It was really nice but took forever and then I was late to meet Jane Eyre!!  Desi was supposed to be picking us up but we couldn't get ahold of her and it was all a big mess, but we made it in the end.  So Jane Eyre is the woman there ever was . . .like actually, probably!  She is a convert of 20 years to the church and she never takes the gospel for granted.  She sees it in all it's splendor and glory and loves it and lives it so well.  She is so humble and is just love personified!  Her and her adorable family are from Hamilton East (now Claudelands Ward actually with the boundaries changed).  They are on holiday to America and are having a marvelous time (even though it's cold here)!  But I got to see her and Sister Aldridge (my dear trainer) and Sister Fisher (who I heard so much about but served before me).  That was such a tender mercy.  Then we got back into the car (Desi came with me, bless her soul) I just burst into tears.  They were tears of joy . . .the joy of loving people so much, tears of nostalgia . . . missing my mission SOOOOO much, and tears of gratitude . . . so grateful for the experiences I've had.  Darn me!  I just get so attached to things and then it's so hard to let them go.  I have to put all my faith in the Lord that there are still so, so many wonderful things to come.  I will have heaps of opportunity to get attached to the best people, places, experiences, and things.

But then last night I went disco skating with Desi and her seven billion friends.  She is the center of everything in her ward and everyone just loves her.  And who wouldn't?  She's the best.  I was the awkward older sister who couldn't skate.  Haha I had three really bad crashes.  But it was still really fun.  I hung out with Desi's dear, sweet, quiet roommate.

Now it's Sunday and I'm so grateful . . .my favorite day!  Hannah is speaking in church this week.  I'm sure she will be wonderful. :D  I'm lucky to have that girl.  I'm lucky to have my new, crazy, wonderful life!

Arohanui,

Sister Clarissa Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment